The Hawaii Region includes four volunteer-based Chapters (Kauai, Oahu, Maui, and Kona) that are part of the worldwide Surfrider Foundation network based in San Clemente, California. In 2020, Hawaii Regional efforts centered on supporting cross-chapter collaboration and strengthening statewide presence. Despite the many challenges of 2020, the Hawaii Chapters continued to actively engage their local communities in protecting the ocean, waves, and beaches of our islands.
- Won four major campaign victories, including local single-use plastic bans and a clean water win at the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Launched statewide outreach related to plastic pollution.
- Joined Global Ghost Gear Initiative to address derelict fishing gear.
- Increased focus on Environmental Justice, Diversity, and Equity.
- Welcomed Lauren Blickley as the new Hawaiʻi Regional Manager.